Pictures

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Geeze, I'm slippin'

So yesterday I had a throwing session over on the soccer fields... bad idea. It was an awesome day and the sun was shining... you would think that this sort of day would lead to an awesome day of throwing some spears. Yeah, you would say that if you didn't see the moist soggy grass we had to throw on until the end of the month.

Well, you probably don't know what I'm talking about exactly. Here at the University of Georgia we're getting our entire Track facility Redone, or Rejuveniated or whatever the heck you wanta say... and since the weather has been ridiculous this fall and winter (I mean, raining like crazy and way under 30 degrees) the contruction has been extremely slow and delayed months!!! We were suppose to have a track in late November orginigally and now it's not suppose to be done until the end of this month... hopefully. I mean, I'll be glad as long as we have a track for the season. I just want to know when I can get a hard suface to throw off of!!! Geeze!

Anyway, so yesterday I go to practice early to check out the beautiful day outside and to watch weight practice right before our practice. I gave my roommate Nicole a ride so after her pracitce she stayed and watched Jav practice. So everything's cool. Got a good warm-up in... strecthed well and was feeling good. Ready for a great practice.

So I get the first couple of tosses in and man, I'm jammin'! I'm hitting these sticks far and very easy. My timing is great.... Until, it comes to about the fifth or so throw. I mind you, that I'm throwing from about a 3/4 approach and my coach is telling me to give it a little more gas. So I coming down with a good amount of speed. I move through the runway very well and I'm looking real smooth. Everything's good until I hit my plant. BAAAAAMM! Right when I'm suppose to be coming up and pushing with my legs to release, wwoooooff... my left leg slips right from underneath me! It keeps sliding until I get the spear out of my hand... Then, I've got so much momentum that I keep moving forward and my body is hurdled forward... I then have only two options... fall and try to stop myself with my hands or be as smooth as my runway and roll to prevent injury... so of course I roll... I've had too many incidents of seeing people hurt themselves trying to stop with their hands.

I pick myself up with lucky no injuries, but with a broken spirit. Every throw after that just didn't feel right. I tried to not think about slipping, but my body knew. I even slowed down the whole approach, but I just couldn't get the timing right. This just wasn't a good practice afterall. This just makes me want a runway to throw off of so bad... but the timing will be right and I know it. Patenice is just hard to come by when things go wrong by other people.

2 comments: